Last summer my daughter and I were trying to do a new project or activity that we could do at home everyday using stuff we already had in the house. (summer fun on a tight budget)
We came across this recipe in the Family Fun magazine. Many times this particular magazine has some good ideas but they are too often to difficult for my little one. Anyway, we found this great idea for cupcakes and it was easy enough for Little Diva to help me the whole time.
I have to say that the cupcakes came out looking pretty cool!
What you’ll need
- White cake mix (we used an 18-1/4-ounce box)
- Food coloring (red, blue, green, and yellow)
- Baking cups
How to make it
- Prepare your favorite white cake mix, then divide the batter evenly among six small bowls. Following the chart below, dye each bowl of batter a rainbow color.
RAINBOW COLOR DROPS OF FOOD COLORING Purple 9 red and 6 blue drops Blue 12 drops Green 12 drops Yellow 12 drops Orange 12 yellow and 4 red drops Red 18 drops
- Line 16 muffin pan wells with baking cups. Evenly distribute the purple batter among the cups, then the blue, and so on, following the order shown. As you go, gently spread each layer of batter with the back of a spoon to cover the color underneath.
- Bake the cupcakes according to your recipe directions. Before serving, remove the paper wrapping.