Happy 4th of July to you all!
We had a party to go to with friends of ours and I was looking for a quick and easy dessert to make while the baby napped and Little Diva read. I found this recipe taken originally from the Betty Crocker site.
- 1 box (15.25 oz.) white cake mix, and ingredients to make as directed
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- 1 container (12 oz.) white frosting
- Sprinkles to decorate, optional
1. Preheat oven according to cake mix directions.
2. Make cake batter as directed on box, using water, oil and egg whites. Divide batter in 3 containers. Dye one part with red food coloring, the second part with blue food coloring and leave the third white.
3. Pour red cake batter into bottom of greased bunt pan. Carefully pour the white batter over red batter in pan. Then pour blue batter over white batter.
When you add the batter to the pan, Do Not Mix. Just pour it in so the colors rest on top of each other in the pan.
4. Bake as directed on box or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake completely, about 30-45 minutes.
5. When cake is cool, divide the frosting evenly into 3 microwavable bowls. Microwave 1 bowl of frosting uncovered on HIGH a few seconds until smooth enough to drizzle over cake. With spoon, drizzle all of the 1st bowl of microwaved frosting all over the cake, back and forth around the cake in a striping pattern. Repeat microwaving second bowl of frosting until smooth. Stir in a few drops of the blue food coloring until well blended. Drizzle over cake, scattering back and forth. Repeat with remaining frosting and red food coloring, making sure red, white and blue can be seen on the cake. Sprinkle with red, white and blue sprinkles, if desired.