Happy 4th of July to you all!
We had a party to go to with friends of ours and I was looking for a quick and easy dessert to make while the baby napped and Little Diva read. I found this recipe taken originally from the Betty Crocker site.
- 1 box (15.25 oz.) white cake mix, and ingredients to make as directed
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- 1 container (12 oz.) white frosting
- Sprinkles to decorate, optional
1. Preheat oven according to cake mix directions.
2. Make cake batter as directed on box, using water, oil and egg whites. Divide batter in 3 containers. Dye one part with red food coloring, the second part with blue food coloring and leave the third white.
3. Pour red cake batter into bottom of greased bunt pan. Carefully pour the white batter over red batter in pan. Then pour blue batter over white batter.
When you add the batter to the pan, Do Not Mix. Just pour it in so the colors rest on top of each other in the pan.
4. Bake as directed on box or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake completely, about 30-45 minutes.
5. When cake is cool, divide the frosting evenly into 3 microwavable bowls. Microwave 1 bowl of frosting uncovered on HIGH a few seconds until smooth enough to drizzle over cake. With spoon, drizzle all of the 1st bowl of microwaved frosting all over the cake, back and forth around the cake in a striping pattern. Repeat microwaving second bowl of frosting until smooth. Stir in a few drops of the blue food coloring until well blended. Drizzle over cake, scattering back and forth. Repeat with remaining frosting and red food coloring, making sure red, white and blue can be seen on the cake. Sprinkle with red, white and blue sprinkles, if desired.
Well school is officially out, my girl scout troop has bridged up the brownies, the garden is growing and the weather here in the Pacific North West is much hotter than normal…yup summer has arrived like a relative kicking in the front door. BAM!
Along with all that summer brings are also the day dreams…
For some these day dreams include the beach, the smell of coconut oil and the sounds of waves and seagulls. Others may think of breathing mountain air, the sounds of woodpeckers and walking through a forest. But my family’s day dreams mostly consist of eating a Dole Whip from Disneyland while washing our hands at the kitchen sink for the 6th time that day with that island pineapple scented foaming soap from Bath & Body works.
So, I was digging around in my pile of recipes to see if I could make a low fat (weight watcher friendly version) of something that had that pineapple flare to it. Something to make that was different, refreshing, healthy and satisfying.
I finally came across a recipe that is an oldie but goodie. My mom used to make it years ago and after talking to a few fellow weight watcher meeting pals they have heard of it too but never tried it.
It’s such an easy recipe, and the little cakes are so good they feel like a little treat but are not overly sweet that they taste great for a snack.
A great thing about this recipe…it’s only 2 ingredients and thats it!
But the best thing ever about this recipe is that each “cake” or”muffin” (whatever you call it) is only 1 ww pts+!!!
**6/29/16 UPDATE- 4 Smart Points per cake**
1 Box Angel Food Cake
1 20 oz Can Crushed Pineapple
Mix both ingredients together well in large bowl.
Scoop mix into 24 cupcake lined muffin or brownie pans.
Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes
Makes: 24 regular sized muffins
(I apologize my pictures did not come out too well, so I will have some update ones on here in about a week or so)
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 cup Flour (sifted)
- 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. Baking soda
- 3/4 cup Chocolate chips
Melt butter and brown sugar in microwave safe bowl until melted. Let cool.
Add vanilla and egg – mix well.
Add dry ingredients gradually. Blend well, and pour into greased 9×9 pan.
Sprinkle with chocolate chips and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
Looking for something new, yummy and fresh? This may be the treat, reward or just something to try for you. This cake uses non-fat Greek yogurt and surprisingly no butter.
I made it this morning, shared with a few friends and it’s already half gone!
1 Cup Blueberry Greek Yogurt
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 1/1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 Cups Flour
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 1/4 Cup Fresh Blueberries
For the Glaze:
3 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Jui8ce
1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
3/4 Cup Confectioners Sugar sifted
-(you may need more depending on desired consistency)
For the cake – Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9 x 9″ pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl combine eggs, yogurt, sugar, oil, vanilla and whisk until smooth. Add flour, baking powder and mix just until combined. Fold in 1 cup of blueberries and gently stir.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Lightly sprinkle 1/4 cup of remaining blueberries over the top.
Bake 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool, then drizzle glaze over cake.